Paddling With MBT
Dragons Abreast Brisbane members are breast cancer survivors who have chosen to improve their health, fitness, and wellbeing by taking part in the sport of Dragon Boat Racing.
We are part of Dragons Abreast Australia (DAA) which is the national organisation comprised of breast cancer survivors (and some very special supporters) of various ages from a great variety of backgrounds, athletic abilities and interests.
Our team name is Missabittatitti (affectionately known as MBT).
Our paddlers are also members of Brisbane River Dragons Dragon Boat and Outrigger Canoe Club Inc. Established in 1998 Brisbane River Dragons Dragon Boat and Outrigger Canoe Club Inc. (BRD) is the oldest dragon boat club in Brisbane. We are a competitive yet social paddling club that train and compete throughout the year.
Dragons Abreast members provide a “face” for the breast cancer statistics whilst spreading the message of breast cancer awareness through participation in the wonderful and strenuous sport of dragon boat racing. High on our list of priorities is having fun, trying new things, meeting interesting people and being involved in a challenging, physical activity whilst promoting breast cancer awareness.
Are you a Brisbane resident and a breast cancer survivor who is interested in improving your health and fitness and general wellbeing?
Please come and try dragon boat paddling with us!
Come along to a Saturday morning training session at the Colmslie Recreational Reserve and enjoy a social paddle with Team Missabittatitti.
Team Missabittatitti welcomes breast cancer survivors who are motivated to get fit and have fun on the water.
Your first three introductory sessions are free-of-charge.
What to wear & bring with you
- Great attitude. You will get wet. It’s a water sport.
- Wear shorts/leggings and a light-weight top which dries quickly (i.e., no denim or heavy material);
- Water (in a plastic bottle with lid tight enough to keep out the yummy Brisbane River water);
- Anti-slip shoes/sneakers/closed-in sandals suitable for water sports;
- Lightweight waterproof jacket if it's cool, wet or windy;
- A cap/sunhat, and maybe sunglasses;
- A towel and some dry clothes and shoes to change into afterwards;
- And did we mention … bring a bottle of water to take with you in the boat.
We will provide
- A warm welcome and support;
- A paddle and life jacket to borrow each week.
We train each Saturday morning.
Meet at Colmslie Reserve at 6.30am for preparation and a warm-up, and then we’re on-water for about an hour from 7.00am. Followed by breakfast at a local café.
Don’t worry if you have not paddled before, we make sure our new paddlers are looked after.
Meet at the Brisbane River Dragons Container, Colmslie Recreational Reserve, Col Gardiner Drive, Morningside.
This is behind the QLD Hockey Centre
Follow Col Gardiner Drive around and you will find us near the BRD clubhouse in the enclosure on your right behind the hockey field. Just look for the ladies in hot pink tops.
Highlight & Ctrl+Click to open this link to Google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/56ZdN