Dragons Abreast Brisbane Members
Dragons Abreast Brisbane members are breast cancer survivors who have chosen to improve their health, fitness and wellbeing by taking part in the sport of Dragon Boat Racing.
We are part of Dragons Abreast Australia (DAA) which is the national organisation comprised of breast cancer survivors (and some very special supporters) of various ages from a great variety of backgrounds, athletic abilities and interests.
Our team name is Missabittatitti (affectionately known as MBT).
Our paddlers are also members of Brisbane River Dragons dragon boat and outrigger canoe club. Established in 1998 Brisbane River Dragons (BRD) is the oldest dragon boat club in Brisbane. We are a competitive yet social paddling club that train and compete throughout the year.
Dragons Abreast members provide a “face” for the breast cancer statistics whilst spreading the message of breast cancer awareness through participation in the wonderful and strenuous sport of dragon boat racing. High on our list of priorities is having fun, trying new things, meeting interesting people and being involved in a challenging, physical activity whilst promoting breast cancer awareness.
What to wear & bring with you
- Great attitude. You will get wet. It’s a water sport.
- Wear shorts/leggings and a light-weight top which dries quickly (i.e., no denim or heavy material);
- Water (in a plastic bottle with lid tight enough to keep out the yummy Brisbane River water);
- Anti-slip shoes/sneakers/closed-in sandals suitable for water sports;
- Lightweight waterproof jacket if it's cool, wet or windy;
- a cap/sunhat, and maybe sunglasses;
- A towel and some dry clothes and shoes to change into afterwards.
- And did we mention … bring a bottle of water to take with you in the boat.
We will provide
- a warm welcome and support
- paddle and life jacket to borrow each week.
We train each Saturday morning.
Meet at Colmslie at 6.30am during summer (winter 7.30am) for warm-up and then we’re on-water for about an hour. Followed by breakfast at a local café.
Don’t worry if you have not paddled before, we make sure our new paddlers are looked after.
Where: 400-420 Lytton Rd, Colmslie, behind the QLD Hockey Centre.
We invite NEW paddlers to attend our Come and Try sessions to see if dragon boating is for you. Contact us at [email protected] for more details.
What to Bring
- Wear clothes you don’t mind getting wet (shorts, t shirt)
- Bottle of water
- Your 3 introductory sessions are free-of-charge.
Meet at the BRD container, which is behind the State Hockey Centre, 400 Lytton Road at Colmslie.
Highlight & Ctrl+Click to open this link to Google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/56ZdN
Follow Col Gardiner Drive around and you will find us near the BRD clubhouse in the enclosure on your right behind the hockey field. Just look for the ladies in hot pink tops.